Skip to main content

Sew Fly Sew

Before I checked off these crazy Get-Out-of-Dodge lists--and lived to tell about it :) and packed my bags for Mongolia,  (you know, I'm not really a list person, but I simply forget too much important stuff without them)









I managed to stitch up a few things in Colorado like...

Pillow cases for Kelby's birthday when he got his big boy bed...

and two dresses that I'm reaallly hoping will fit Abby on her September birthday

This Kwik Sew was my 1st experience with downloading a pattern.  Pretty slick!  Plus, I won't have to dink around with the different kids' sizes by re-buying or tracing.  Just print it off again (in fast draft)!
This was an attempt to duplicate a much pricier dress.  I was really pleased with the pattern and detailing.  I finally figured out how to accomplish decent threaded button loops!  Instead of crotchet thread, which is too thick to initially get through the fabric, I used 4 strands of regular thread and crotchet my loop then pulled through to knot with the needle.  Pat on back :)  These fabrics were beautiful cottons from Hobby Lobby--the picture doesn't do them justice.
and of course, a doll dress to match for her 18" doll :)

Once here in UB, I was inspired to download this pattern

to make this skirt

from a cotton sari length I had bought in Singapore a few years back.  They wash up beautifully!  Soft with nice drape.  AND I remember paying less than 5 USD for it :D  Yes, I bought a stack for gifts, table covers, etc.  I probably should have done a wrap skirt to do justice with the print's sari layout, but I'm really picky about wraps--no surprises in the wind, you know?  I couldn't seem to find a mock wrap, so it is what it is.  This one is fairly straight with darts, side zip and side slit.  I wore it out last night and like it lots.

Well, off into the day.  Need to start thinking about packing--Venice by the end of the week--God willing and Aeroflot flies!  Ciao!

"Trust in no substitutes, seek no other refuge, lean on no other crutch but the living God.  Love Him as you love no one else on earth."
Growing Deep in the Christian Life, Chuck Swindoll

Whom have I in heaven but you?  And there is nothing on earth that I desire other than you.
Psalm 73:25, God

Comments

Nikki Schreiner said…
Nice work! Love the skirt, and Kelby really loves his pillow cases :)

Popular posts from this blog

Bloggers' Quilt Festival!

I'm so tickled to be a part of this year's Bloggers' Quilt Festival !  My entry was done in Outer Mongolia (literally!  --read on).  This quilt is one of my favorite recent projects that I named "Renegade Geisha's" --renegade because two of the geisha's don't conform to the rest (mainly because I ran out of coordinating fabrics!).  Can you find the two renegades?  ;)  The quilt incorporates fabric origami and the quilt itself is from  Fantastic Fabric Folding  --many projects from this book were a big hit with the Mongolian class pictured below. Due to my husband's work, we live in Mongolia; and I was privileged to teach classes at a local quilting studio.  I've included a picture of the class where we were working on the geisha blocks.  The students spoke almost no English and I speak what I call Monglish--a lot of English sprinkled with Mongolian.  Regardless, we all had a blast!  ...and, I'm very pleased with this quilt of mine!

Much Needed New Winter Robe - Vogue 9232

Last spring I chucked my 20-year-old bathrobe, giving me no choice but to replace it come winter.  Granted, I never took it to Mongolia, so it only got worn when I was home in the US.  But still.  For summer I made several light weight robes, but I knew I liked the style of my old RTW one.   When I saw reviews for Vogue 9232--on PR (all 3 of them), I knew I'd found my pattern.  Interestingly enough, the pattern is actually for a caftan-type dress; but all 3 reviews were done up as a robe.       Sham's review   in particular had great tips.   On a trip to Colorado Fabrics  in early summer I spotted a beeeuuutiful pink sweatshirt type fabric.  The outside is more like a thick knit and inside is dreamy soft.  And it's baby pink!  Which is hard to tell in the pics as we in Colorado have had lots of rain and no sunshine. And OK, I'm no photographer.  But seriously, this is like stepping into a pink cloud.   I made a small through the neck, shoulders and sleeves

A Stitch Sisters Kimono for Dubai

My husband had meetings come up quick in Dubai and of course I tagged along!  We were going to be there a week and I wanted a lightweight kimono-type pullover for the pool and getting out of the shower.  I had snagged a gorgeous white linen/cotton (guessing on this) here in UB that was perfect.  My inspiration came from Lisa's over at  Lisa's Carolina | Handmade .  I'm not good at pattern drafting and this was a quick FREE measure and cut tutorial of Stitch Sisters--find their Patternless Pattern Link  here .   I'm so happy with this!  It basically took me an afternoon.  The directions are great--and they include 5/8" seam allowances--yay!--as I wanted to turn under and top stitch them since I don't have a serger here.  I left off the ties.  Shapeless worked for this.  I also raised the neckline by about 1.5" The neckline was a little trickier as I didn't have any bias on hand and there is no "running out" anywhere here.  So, I used