Skip to main content

Boxes, Boxes Who's Got the Boxes?


I mailed two boxes from US the day I left for UB (OK, my suitcases were way over)--due to the fact that even if one can get certain goods in Mongolia, this does not mean the goods are worth having. Ex: exploding lightbulbs, towels that totally unravel in the first wash, bogus Mary Kay products, etc. Then there are the things you just cannot get: many spices, wax paper, shampoo in English (hmm...for dry hair or oily in Russion?) etc. Now, back to the boxes.

Since I mailed them airmail (only option now available from US) and things often arrive in less than 2 weeks, I started to be concerned since it was now a month out. Randy arrived home last night with both boxes. One arrived yesterday and one the 16th. I am about to question Randy on why the one came on the 16th and we were not notified, but he gives me "The Look;" i.e., y'all ain't from around here are ya? look. (Of course I had no way of knowing what had just transpired in the underground parking garage when he arrived home--another story, another time.)

Fast forward: the one box had been in the post office in UB since the 16th because they did not know to whom it belonged. As you can see in the photo, Customs opened that box upside down. The mailing label was on the bottom side and no one thought to flip the box over. Yep. Stupid me. From now on, put a label on both sides of the box. Or maybe all four.

I do not have an answer as to why the one box made it in 2 weeks and the other one month. It just wears you out, you know?

I do not make this stuff up.

Posted by Picasa

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Bloggers' Quilt Festival!

I'm so tickled to be a part of this year's Bloggers' Quilt Festival !  My entry was done in Outer Mongolia (literally!  --read on).  This quilt is one of my favorite recent projects that I named "Renegade Geisha's" --renegade because two of the geisha's don't conform to the rest (mainly because I ran out of coordinating fabrics!).  Can you find the two renegades?  ;)  The quilt incorporates fabric origami and the quilt itself is from  Fantastic Fabric Folding  --many projects from this book were a big hit with the Mongolian class pictured below. Due to my husband's work, we live in Mongolia; and I was privileged to teach classes at a local quilting studio.  I've included a picture of the class where we were working on the geisha blocks.  The students spoke almost no English and I speak what I call Monglish--a lot of English sprinkled with Mongolian.  Regardless, we all had a blast!  ...and, I'm very pleased with this quilt of mine!

A Stitch Sisters Kimono for Dubai

My husband had meetings come up quick in Dubai and of course I tagged along!  We were going to be there a week and I wanted a lightweight kimono-type pullover for the pool and getting out of the shower.  I had snagged a gorgeous white linen/cotton (guessing on this) here in UB that was perfect.  My inspiration came from Lisa's over at  Lisa's Carolina | Handmade .  I'm not good at pattern drafting and this was a quick FREE measure and cut tutorial of Stitch Sisters--find their Patternless Pattern Link  here .   I'm so happy with this!  It basically took me an afternoon.  The directions are great--and they include 5/8" seam allowances--yay!--as I wanted to turn under and top stitch them since I don't have a serger here.  I left off the ties.  Shapeless worked for this.  I also raised the neckline by about 1.5" The neckline was a little trickier as I didn't have any bias on hand and there is no "running out" anywhere here.  So, I used

Much Needed New Winter Robe - Vogue 9232

Last spring I chucked my 20-year-old bathrobe, giving me no choice but to replace it come winter.  Granted, I never took it to Mongolia, so it only got worn when I was home in the US.  But still.  For summer I made several light weight robes, but I knew I liked the style of my old RTW one.   When I saw reviews for Vogue 9232--on PR (all 3 of them), I knew I'd found my pattern.  Interestingly enough, the pattern is actually for a caftan-type dress; but all 3 reviews were done up as a robe.       Sham's review   in particular had great tips.   On a trip to Colorado Fabrics  in early summer I spotted a beeeuuutiful pink sweatshirt type fabric.  The outside is more like a thick knit and inside is dreamy soft.  And it's baby pink!  Which is hard to tell in the pics as we in Colorado have had lots of rain and no sunshine. And OK, I'm no photographer.  But seriously, this is like stepping into a pink cloud.   I made a small through the neck, shoulders and sleeves