Monday, July 11, 2016

A Tale of Two Kimono


What to do with 2ish yards of silk?  Make a kimono!  ...and I was so attracted to Simplicity 1381 out of all the kimono patterns available.  View C, the one being modeled, in particular. 
The silk was purchased during a trip to Hong Kong --at the Western Market (insert long sigh of fond longing) and was gorgeous to work with.  I did have to purchase more silk here for the bands as I was short.  
 
I flat felled the seams and turned and hand stitched the collar and wrist bands, which I regretted.  Big pain.  
 

I really like this make and it feels so luxurious to wear.  The drape is really nice and I like the length, too--for either pants or skirts/dresses.


I liked it so much I made another out of cotton gauze from Joannes, using leftover embroidered cotton batiste, also from Joannes.  
umm...not sure I like it.  I have yet to wear it out even though I've put it on several times to do so.  I thought it would be a great light-weight shrug-ish thing to wear in aid conditioning, etc.  I guess it feels a bit like a lab coat.  Maybe it will grow on me.

This time I stitched and then serged the bands on.  Much faster.




So, end of story:  I love Kimono #1 and I do like the pattern and might make a travel robe from it in the future.

2 comments:

Coco said...

so pretty. And actually the white version is my favorite, it's lovely. Cute over jeans...

Nancy D said...

WOW! That is gorgeous! Do you have strangers coming up to you, wanting to caress your shoulders? I would, for sure. The pattern has a nice shape.