Skip to main content

Black & White

I wear a lot of black.  I mean A Lot.  It started with all the travel 10 years ago.  

Then, about 2 years ago I decided to let my hair grow natural; i.e.,  gray.  I made that decision right after I renewed my passport that's good for 10 years.  Hmm.   But I've never looked back and no regrets.  

A wonderful result of this decision is that I now have a much narrower color palette!  This really simplifies life.  

Apparently B&W is now On Trend.  I think this is a first for me.  Usually,  I embrace a trend that appeals to me and by the time I get the pattern, fabric, and fitting issues ironed out, that trend has whizzed right by.  

Using black as a base, I now only buy & sew hot pink, true purple, red and royal blue.  And!  I mix them!  Yes, red and purple really do blend.  I've really liked doing the black/royal blue thing that's been en vogue--this was so easy for me as I already had the colors in my closet and stash.  

I like soft pink & baby blue, but tend to use them sparingly and more for night wear, etc. . 

No more dinking around with "safari" colors, Pantone Emerald Green or Tangerine Tango.  Yikes.  However!  The 2014 color is Radiant Orchid; much more promising.

A peek at the bulletin board in my sewing room--see, B&W have been on my radar for some time.:



Here's Vogue 8323 done up as a tunic in the fabulous Ponte I get here in UB.  


I think a simple FBA (just adding 1" in length to the front pieces--per Sanda Betzina's Fast Fit) needs to be done in the future.  In the meantime, The Husband thinks this is a winner.

I wear this top with black jeggings from Express.  I'm not sure this is my favorite look.  Since knee-high boots are my uniform here in UB in the winter, the look is OK.  As long as the tops are long enough.  (That age-appropriate thing ;) 

More B&W projects are on the cutting table, so stay tuned ;)







Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Bloggers' Quilt Festival!

I'm so tickled to be a part of this year's Bloggers' Quilt Festival !  My entry was done in Outer Mongolia (literally!  --read on).  This quilt is one of my favorite recent projects that I named "Renegade Geisha's" --renegade because two of the geisha's don't conform to the rest (mainly because I ran out of coordinating fabrics!).  Can you find the two renegades?  ;)  The quilt incorporates fabric origami and the quilt itself is from  Fantastic Fabric Folding  --many projects from this book were a big hit with the Mongolian class pictured below. Due to my husband's work, we live in Mongolia; and I was privileged to teach classes at a local quilting studio.  I've included a picture of the class where we were working on the geisha blocks.  The students spoke almost no English and I speak what I call Monglish--a lot of English sprinkled with Mongolian.  Regardless, we all had a blast!  ...and, I'm very pleased with this quilt of mine!

Much Needed New Winter Robe - Vogue 9232

Last spring I chucked my 20-year-old bathrobe, giving me no choice but to replace it come winter.  Granted, I never took it to Mongolia, so it only got worn when I was home in the US.  But still.  For summer I made several light weight robes, but I knew I liked the style of my old RTW one.   When I saw reviews for Vogue 9232--on PR (all 3 of them), I knew I'd found my pattern.  Interestingly enough, the pattern is actually for a caftan-type dress; but all 3 reviews were done up as a robe.       Sham's review   in particular had great tips.   On a trip to Colorado Fabrics  in early summer I spotted a beeeuuutiful pink sweatshirt type fabric.  The outside is more like a thick knit and inside is dreamy soft.  And it's baby pink!  Which is hard to tell in the pics as we in Colorado have had lots of rain and no sunshine. And OK, I'm no photographer.  But seriously, this is like stepping into a pink cloud.   I made a small through the neck, shoulders and sleeves

A Stitch Sisters Kimono for Dubai

My husband had meetings come up quick in Dubai and of course I tagged along!  We were going to be there a week and I wanted a lightweight kimono-type pullover for the pool and getting out of the shower.  I had snagged a gorgeous white linen/cotton (guessing on this) here in UB that was perfect.  My inspiration came from Lisa's over at  Lisa's Carolina | Handmade .  I'm not good at pattern drafting and this was a quick FREE measure and cut tutorial of Stitch Sisters--find their Patternless Pattern Link  here .   I'm so happy with this!  It basically took me an afternoon.  The directions are great--and they include 5/8" seam allowances--yay!--as I wanted to turn under and top stitch them since I don't have a serger here.  I left off the ties.  Shapeless worked for this.  I also raised the neckline by about 1.5" The neckline was a little trickier as I didn't have any bias on hand and there is no "running out" anywhere here.  So, I used