Skip to main content

Christmas in Asia

Christmas in Asia is a little bit different--in good ways and bad.  Asians tend to use all the Christmas trappings to celebrate the new year.  In very over-the-top ways.  On the other hand, it is left to the Christians to celebrate; in intentional ways.  That, I think, is good.

Here's some pics of our 9th Christmas in the East!

Hotel Lobby in Macau.  Rather tasteful.  Despite Randy wanting to sneak chocolate covered almonds behind the reindeer.  ...wherever you go, there you are...


Kowloon in front of the historic Peninsula Hotel.  Rather tame in daylight.  Stay tuned.


Kowloon in front of Peninsula by night.  Dazzling (blinding).  Yes, that IS a giant cupid hovering over the photo op!

See that cupid now?  Yes?

The beautiful, crazy-old tree above the lighted one pales in comparison.
Christmas lights on Hong Kong shore seen from the ferry from Kowloon.
 Back to some reality in UB.  Whew!  

A few cuties from our church fellowship

Amazing Beverly and a few of her Boys


Wrapping tends to be creative here.  Fabric works!

As do pages from Popular Mechanics
 Isn't this little guy TOO cute?  Randy grabbed a champagne cork and it just gave him a whole new look from the box.  Found this in a Hong Kong book store.





View from the living room window in our apartment.
We had a marvelous Christmas Day--beginning and ending with Jesus and all in between.  We Skype called family all morning, and enjoyed a gorgeous Christmas dinner at a nearby restaurant.  Randy took the day off (Christmas is a working day here) and it was just perfect.  I hope your Christmas was wonderful and Christ filled, too!

Comments

A delightful view of your Asian-influenced Christmas celebration. Very colorful, especially the gifts. I love the cloth idea!
Siberiahpf said…
Sounds like a wonderful Christmas. And you have now made our New Years as well as Tom and I laughed and laughed at Randy and his chocolate almonds he he.. Hope 2014 brings you many many blessings!

Popular posts from this blog

Silouette #600 Classic Blouse

Shirt love.

In my long blogging absence I have actually been doing a lot of sewing and just general living.  While still pursuing the Perfect Pant (and making progress!), I have veered off that road into Shirt Land.  After watching countless YouTubes done by Peggy Sagers of Silhouette Patterns, I finally ordered up her  #600, The Classic Blouse.  After sewing 40+ years, I have to say I've picked up many new ways of sewing--and thinking about sewing & fashion from Peggy.

Anyhoo...the pattern is amazing!!!!  Silhouette patterns come in cup sizes and while the C cup fits me perfectly right out of the envelope!  I tweaked the armhole for sleeveless and the coverage I like there but other than that:  perfection.  Love the collar/facing methods.  Love the length and gentle shirt tail hem.  

I've been so excited I've made 4!  Skirts (Magic Pencil of course), tops and sandals are my uniform for summer so all are sleeveless so far and I just throw on a gauzy shrug or sweater when …

Honolulu Kimono Tops

...and a birthday library tote.  

Tomorrow, God willing and United flies...I'll be in Honolulu with 3 of my Munchkins!  Cannot wait.

I wanted a few new things so I drove over to Colorado Fabrics and picked up some rayon knits--all the flat folds were 50% off.  This happens twice a year and is a major score.  Worth the drive.

So, I made up all 3 in Maria of Denmark's Kimono T.  This is my all-time favorite go-to T.   Perfect with my Magic Pencil skirts in stretch denim and twill.





Then, Kelby's mom said he could really use a new library tote--they  pretty much go every week :-)

I used outdoor fabric--50% off at Joannes and scored a piece of bright orange (his favorite color) on the 50%-off remnant pile.


I'm pretty pleased with this project :)
Aloha!

A Tale of Two Kimono

What to do with 2ish yards of silk?  Make a kimono!  ...and I was so attracted to Simplicity 1381 out of all the kimono patterns available.  View C, the one being modeled, in particular.  The silk was purchased during a trip to Hong Kong --at the Western Market (insert long sigh of fond longing) and was gorgeous to work with.  I did have to purchase more silk here for the bands as I was short.  
I flat felled the seams and turned and hand stitched the collar and wrist bands, which I regretted.  Big pain.  


I really like this make and it feels so luxurious to wear.  The drape is really nice and I like the length, too--for either pants or skirts/dresses.

I liked it so much I made another out of cotton gauze from Joannes, using leftover embroidered cotton batiste, also from Joannes.   umm...not sure I like it.  I have yet to wear it out even though I've put it on several times to do so.  I thought it would be a great light-weight shrug-ish thing to wear in aid conditioning, etc.  I guess …