Skip to main content

The Clampetts Move to Bella Vista

Well, after 7+ years we moved apartments here in UB.  The company wants to sell off the apartments and lease instead.  We resisted for at least a year--moving is a pain, the old one was comfortable, lots of memories, etc., etc.  Then the building became less and less comfortable almost by the week.  The leak from upstairs that the owners refused to fix.



The deteriorating garage including the two sets of HUGE iron garage doors that clanged open and closed all night long.


The worst was the crazy traffic right outside our windows.  The toxic fumes, the screeching noise.


The dirt--Randy cleaned the balcony the week before!


So, it happened rather suddenly.  We moved across the Tuul River into Bella Vista Apartments.  For the first time in our lives we have panoramic views.  River by day and city scape by night.




The air is clean.  It's quiet.


The gym is right in the building for Randy.  The salon is right here for me :) .  There's even a restaurant and tiny market.  There are tons of outlets!!!  Unheard of in UB.


The storage is amazing
Master Closet



Finally!  A bathroom counter!!!  Another UB anomoly 



Five drawers from the old place fit into 2!!
The kitchen is something like Ikea on steroids.  The appliances are mostly Miele which a German friend assures me are "total top of the line."  It took some bonding with the convection oven in celsius, but I really like it now.
Like what the heck do all those little symbols mean?  Found out online



The view out my sewing window


Admittedly, if one looks out my window opposite the river by day, it's construction.  Looks like Lego Land, yeah?  This was on a Sunday.  Usually there are lots more little hard hats buzzing around.




And look!  Lego Dudes hugging!  Actually they're wrestling.  On a crane.  In high winds.  Wrestling is a Mongolian Male Pastime.  Like spitting and hawking.


We moved and one week later I'm on a plane back to the US.  Or trying to be.  My flight has been cancelled 2 times due to high winds, so now I am 3 days behind schedule.  Not that I have a schedule, really.  Poor Randy has meetings he's trying to get to and he's lost a day already. Keeping fingers crossed for tonight's flight.


However, I have lots to look forward to on my return trip (with TWO DAUGHTERS!!!?) in July.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Silouette #600 Classic Blouse

Shirt love.

In my long blogging absence I have actually been doing a lot of sewing and just general living.  While still pursuing the Perfect Pant (and making progress!), I have veered off that road into Shirt Land.  After watching countless YouTubes done by Peggy Sagers of Silhouette Patterns, I finally ordered up her  #600, The Classic Blouse.  After sewing 40+ years, I have to say I've picked up many new ways of sewing--and thinking about sewing & fashion from Peggy.

Anyhoo...the pattern is amazing!!!!  Silhouette patterns come in cup sizes and while the C cup fits me perfectly right out of the envelope!  I tweaked the armhole for sleeveless and the coverage I like there but other than that:  perfection.  Love the collar/facing methods.  Love the length and gentle shirt tail hem.  

I've been so excited I've made 4!  Skirts (Magic Pencil of course), tops and sandals are my uniform for summer so all are sleeveless so far and I just throw on a gauzy shrug or sweater when …

Honolulu Kimono Tops

...and a birthday library tote.  

Tomorrow, God willing and United flies...I'll be in Honolulu with 3 of my Munchkins!  Cannot wait.

I wanted a few new things so I drove over to Colorado Fabrics and picked up some rayon knits--all the flat folds were 50% off.  This happens twice a year and is a major score.  Worth the drive.

So, I made up all 3 in Maria of Denmark's Kimono T.  This is my all-time favorite go-to T.   Perfect with my Magic Pencil skirts in stretch denim and twill.





Then, Kelby's mom said he could really use a new library tote--they  pretty much go every week :-)

I used outdoor fabric--50% off at Joannes and scored a piece of bright orange (his favorite color) on the 50%-off remnant pile.


I'm pretty pleased with this project :)
Aloha!

A Tale of Two Kimono

What to do with 2ish yards of silk?  Make a kimono!  ...and I was so attracted to Simplicity 1381 out of all the kimono patterns available.  View C, the one being modeled, in particular.  The silk was purchased during a trip to Hong Kong --at the Western Market (insert long sigh of fond longing) and was gorgeous to work with.  I did have to purchase more silk here for the bands as I was short.  
I flat felled the seams and turned and hand stitched the collar and wrist bands, which I regretted.  Big pain.  


I really like this make and it feels so luxurious to wear.  The drape is really nice and I like the length, too--for either pants or skirts/dresses.

I liked it so much I made another out of cotton gauze from Joannes, using leftover embroidered cotton batiste, also from Joannes.   umm...not sure I like it.  I have yet to wear it out even though I've put it on several times to do so.  I thought it would be a great light-weight shrug-ish thing to wear in aid conditioning, etc.  I guess …