Skip to main content

One Last Look

...Back.  This is the last day of the year on this side of the world and before I turn the calendar to a new year, I want to just blog about Stuff I've Made.  Despite all the Travel, Crazy Schedules and Family Fun, I really did get a lot of sewing done.  In fact, I have a renewed interest in garment sewing for myself--partly due to inspiration from all the sewing blogs and podcasts out there (and Nikki!) and partly because of the joy of my sewing loft in Colorado where the views and light are great and all my stuff is organized.

First there were the Christmas jammies for the Munchkins.  I ended up making them all except for Elijah's (Carters with Lego men were the ticket) and Andreas' (who is enjoying a glut of jammies and for whom I crotchet a monster hat and strings for store bought mittens).



 Kelby also had a plethora of jammies and Nikki suggested a little man robe.  Done.

Then there were Personality Appropriate Aprons for my friend Maureen's b-day in December:

Isn't this print a hoot?


Three heating pads for gifts:

For myself, I made a few tunics to wear with my skinny jeans.  Really like this one and hope to make again--being short, it comes to mid thigh on me.  Just what I wanted.


This one below looks  MUCHO better on than on the form.  For one, the print is really, really muted; whereas, it's neon eye popping in this picture.  Trust me, I would not wear this print the way it looks in the picture!  Secondly, it is longer and drap-ier on; in fact, I made a note to make a size smaller next time.  Come to think of it, maybe I should re-measure my form as it seems really snug on the form, hip level (yippee!).  I wear this with a thin, close fitting long sleeved tee and like it a lot.  Oh, and it has pleats at one shoulder and on one lower side that I don't think show up in the picture, either.


And this great jacket from a velvet(ish) fabric.  I plan on wearing a close fitting black turtleneck shot through with silver that I have under.  ...and with my black dress pants from Express, festive, eh?


Lastly, I whipped up two of these earbud pouches, one for my fancy ones with the microphone that came with my iPhone, and the other for my everyday iPod ones.  As you can see, I goofed on the one by not placing the ring tab at the start of the zipper.  Oh well, no biggie.  I had to use an invisible zipper as that's all you can get here in UB.  ?  Don't know.   Anyway, I really like them!  Beats the snak zips I've been using when I travel.
That's it.   I'm thinking, admittedly not too hard, about starting a separate sewing blog to talk about my sewing in more detail and so as to not bore to tears those of you have no interest whatsoever.  I would name it Nomad Needles (?!) and would use this picture in the header:


Isn't this GREAT?! My friend, Pernille, sent this to me for my birthday!  The body has pattern pieces decoupaged on it!  How cool is that?  Love it.

One definite goal for blogging in 2012 is to do it more often and less bulk.  By doing the first, that should take care of the second, right?

Au revoir 2011!  Tomorrow is the time for calendars and goals and embracing a brand new year.  Tonight, well, Randy is in the kitchen building the most amazing lasagna and there is a bottle of dry champagne chilling.  So, off to it!

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Bloggers' Quilt Festival!

I'm so tickled to be a part of this year's Bloggers' Quilt Festival !  My entry was done in Outer Mongolia (literally!  --read on).  This quilt is one of my favorite recent projects that I named "Renegade Geisha's" --renegade because two of the geisha's don't conform to the rest (mainly because I ran out of coordinating fabrics!).  Can you find the two renegades?  ;)  The quilt incorporates fabric origami and the quilt itself is from  Fantastic Fabric Folding  --many projects from this book were a big hit with the Mongolian class pictured below. Due to my husband's work, we live in Mongolia; and I was privileged to teach classes at a local quilting studio.  I've included a picture of the class where we were working on the geisha blocks.  The students spoke almost no English and I speak what I call Monglish--a lot of English sprinkled with Mongolian.  Regardless, we all had a blast!  ...and, I'm very pleased with this quilt of mine!

Much Needed New Winter Robe - Vogue 9232

Last spring I chucked my 20-year-old bathrobe, giving me no choice but to replace it come winter.  Granted, I never took it to Mongolia, so it only got worn when I was home in the US.  But still.  For summer I made several light weight robes, but I knew I liked the style of my old RTW one.   When I saw reviews for Vogue 9232--on PR (all 3 of them), I knew I'd found my pattern.  Interestingly enough, the pattern is actually for a caftan-type dress; but all 3 reviews were done up as a robe.       Sham's review   in particular had great tips.   On a trip to Colorado Fabrics  in early summer I spotted a beeeuuutiful pink sweatshirt type fabric.  The outside is more like a thick knit and inside is dreamy soft.  And it's baby pink!  Which is hard to tell in the pics as we in Colorado have had lots of rain and no sunshine. And OK, I'm no photographer.  But seriously, this is like stepping into a pink cloud.   I made a small through the neck, shoulders and sleeves

A Stitch Sisters Kimono for Dubai

My husband had meetings come up quick in Dubai and of course I tagged along!  We were going to be there a week and I wanted a lightweight kimono-type pullover for the pool and getting out of the shower.  I had snagged a gorgeous white linen/cotton (guessing on this) here in UB that was perfect.  My inspiration came from Lisa's over at  Lisa's Carolina | Handmade .  I'm not good at pattern drafting and this was a quick FREE measure and cut tutorial of Stitch Sisters--find their Patternless Pattern Link  here .   I'm so happy with this!  It basically took me an afternoon.  The directions are great--and they include 5/8" seam allowances--yay!--as I wanted to turn under and top stitch them since I don't have a serger here.  I left off the ties.  Shapeless worked for this.  I also raised the neckline by about 1.5" The neckline was a little trickier as I didn't have any bias on hand and there is no "running out" anywhere here.  So, I used