Skip to main content

Wearable Therapy

I have been having some fun--and being able to wear the end products.  What's not to love about sewing?  Even the occasional wadder are part of the learning curve, right?  The constant learning--not only new fitting skills and sewing techniques, but the spill over into learning new tech-y things, photography things, blogging things--is something I am really enjoying.  Plus the online sewing community is so much fun.

Anyway.  My successes :)
Shirt #2 from my TNT Simplicity 9158
this time in a basic black lightweight stretch poplin from Fabric.com
 This time I added a kicky facing.  Next time I might just do a bias binding instead of the facing.

Then a black skirt from a great bottom weight knit I found here in UB.  It was a dream to work with and feels great to wear.  It's from Vogue 8750
I really like the curves and fit and the vent in the back adds just enough leg.  Not sure about the length, though.  Still, I think I'll get a lot of wear out of it.


...and how about this crazy grosgrain ribbon facing?!

Oh!  and look at how the seams/invisible zip all come together, hmm?  Pat on back :)



From the same TNT I made my shirt from, Simp 9158, I just finished this from a lovely soft, light-weight cotton khaki twill from Fabric.com.  I'm thinking that I'll get lots of wear with either sandals or boots.  I added a slit in the back to enable me to get in and out of the Jeep back home ;)
 I lined it in a cotton/poly blend I found here in UB.  Also got to use more of that fun grosgrain ribbon for the facing.

This made up really quickly from a downloaded Maria Denmark pattern, Kirsten Kimono Tee,

I made up in a beautiful Korean knit I found here.  I think this will be a great foundational piece with a colored cardi or such

Lastly, this could very well be a wadder.  The pattern was a free Hot Pattern download from Fabric.com   Slinky-Slouchy Drawstring Vest--the pattern is wonderful.  The problem is that I made it in a soft, drapey mesh-ish knit I found here.  The pattern calls for woven.  The back neck and armholes have stretched waaaay out of wack.  It actually looks nothing like the pattern and I cringe to think that Hot Patterns would even see this.  That said, I haven't decided to live with it or chalk it up to that learning curve. But I'll definitely be making up the pattern again--for reals.

Wearing Option B.  Looked better in the mirror than in this picture!  hmm...

Very last of all--Fall has arrived in UB.  Glory!

Comments

Nikki Schreiner said…
You have been busy!! And fast! LOVE the kimono tee, I may have to get that pattern. Cute knit too. Now that I've seen the black skirt, I think it would be better shortened a bit, to just below the knee :) The length on the white skirt, though, is fabulous, I love it!
HeathersSphere said…
Such fine looking pieces to have in your wardrobe! Thanks for sharing.

Popular posts from this blog

Made in Mongolia--Simplicity 6726

Follow my blog with Bloglovin Follow my blog with Bloglovin Let's give this blogging thing another go, shall we?   I recently listened to podcast #18 at   Clothes Making Mavens  featuring Barbara Imodi of Sewing on the Edge  that was SO encouraging.  So on we go with my pretty bad photos featuring real me and my real life. We're back in Mongolia for 90 days with Randy's work.  I've been tracking that over on  Instagram  and  Facebook .  Anyway, my official sewing enabler, husband Randy, made sure that I immediately acquired a second-hand machine and set up my Happy Place.  Our furnished apartment has one picture on the wall and dinnerware for 6, but I have a sewing machine!  I do have my priorities right. I have to say I've never been a Singer fan.  That said, this little guy has really, really surprised me.  There is a Singer store here in UB that is the only game in town.  I got this Singer 323...

Mental Rioting

Mental Rioting.   Isn't that the coolest phrase?  I just heard it minutes ago on a Nat Geo bio on Darwin.  Thought it summed up a lot for me today.  All good.  Except for the head cold I'm getting over.  A glorious fall day is outside and I've been cooped up trying to mend.  Respiratory infections are not to be taken lightly here in UB. The good news is that I was able to snuffle about and cut out 4--count them: 4! sewing projects today.  Very excited about them.   Oh, and the really, really good news is that Mr. M indeed fixed my serger.  The same day.  He's a keeper. Before the cold hit, it hasn't all been sewing here. I started helping out with conversational English with bright young people working in Mongolian government who are trying to get to Australia to work on Master degrees.  Last Friday I was thrilled to be invited to tag along on a tour of the Parliament Building.  Quite a privilege for a local, nev...

A Stitch Sisters Kimono for Dubai

My husband had meetings come up quick in Dubai and of course I tagged along!  We were going to be there a week and I wanted a lightweight kimono-type pullover for the pool and getting out of the shower.  I had snagged a gorgeous white linen/cotton (guessing on this) here in UB that was perfect.  My inspiration came from Lisa's over at  Lisa's Carolina | Handmade .  I'm not good at pattern drafting and this was a quick FREE measure and cut tutorial of Stitch Sisters--find their Patternless Pattern Link  here .   I'm so happy with this!  It basically took me an afternoon.  The directions are great--and they include 5/8" seam allowances--yay!--as I wanted to turn under and top stitch them since I don't have a serger here.  I left off the ties.  Shapeless worked for this.  I also raised the neckline by about 1.5" The neckline was a little trickier as I didn't have any bias on hand and there is no "running out" anywhe...