Skip to main content

Through the Looking Glass

Am writing this in wonderful Incheon Airport, So Korea.  Took the midnight flight from UB last night, winging my way home to Colorado.

I both dread and embrace these 2-day trips spanning half a globe and a 15-hour time difference.  Dread because, well, hanging out on planes and in airports for all those hours is a drag. 

Embrace because there is something Zen-like in traveling solo on such trips.  I think of it as The Zone.  Submersed in anonymity and the wonderful care of Korean Air and Incheon Airport.  

Ahh, Incheon.  Spotlessly clean and incredibly accommodating with numerous rest areas, transit hotels, sightseeing tours around the island and into Seoul, free showers, free water, multiple restaurants and stores, no obnoxious TSA recordings and some of the best massage in Asia.  I try never to miss that.  

Anyway.  The is a time to just zone.  Read.  Watch movies or documentaries.  Think.  Doze.  Hold a constant, relaxed conversation with God.  Just mouth breathe.  

But!  before I left UB (packing fabric this way for a change!), I wrapped up all my sewing projects started there.  I ended up shortening this skirt per Nikki's advice.  Then I almost completed a more tailored one in silk wool.

Now, looking straight into the mirror, it looks like it's above the knees.  Not so in this pick. Hmm.  Maybe it's the angle.  

The same great detailing is there though, with a much more flattering length.  Maybe I should go shorter...

OK, well, off to brush my teeth and get ready for the 11-hour flight to San Francisco.  Where the travel stress begins.  

On the other hand, there are hot showers, water that's not brown, bananas, car keys, etc. --and Munchkins!  awaiting.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Made in Mongolia--Simplicity 6726

Follow my blog with Bloglovin Follow my blog with Bloglovin Let's give this blogging thing another go, shall we?   I recently listened to podcast #18 at   Clothes Making Mavens  featuring Barbara Imodi of Sewing on the Edge  that was SO encouraging.  So on we go with my pretty bad photos featuring real me and my real life. We're back in Mongolia for 90 days with Randy's work.  I've been tracking that over on  Instagram  and  Facebook .  Anyway, my official sewing enabler, husband Randy, made sure that I immediately acquired a second-hand machine and set up my Happy Place.  Our furnished apartment has one picture on the wall and dinnerware for 6, but I have a sewing machine!  I do have my priorities right. I have to say I've never been a Singer fan.  That said, this little guy has really, really surprised me.  There is a Singer store here in UB that is the only game in town.  I got this Singer 323...

Mental Rioting

Mental Rioting.   Isn't that the coolest phrase?  I just heard it minutes ago on a Nat Geo bio on Darwin.  Thought it summed up a lot for me today.  All good.  Except for the head cold I'm getting over.  A glorious fall day is outside and I've been cooped up trying to mend.  Respiratory infections are not to be taken lightly here in UB. The good news is that I was able to snuffle about and cut out 4--count them: 4! sewing projects today.  Very excited about them.   Oh, and the really, really good news is that Mr. M indeed fixed my serger.  The same day.  He's a keeper. Before the cold hit, it hasn't all been sewing here. I started helping out with conversational English with bright young people working in Mongolian government who are trying to get to Australia to work on Master degrees.  Last Friday I was thrilled to be invited to tag along on a tour of the Parliament Building.  Quite a privilege for a local, nev...

A Stitch Sisters Kimono for Dubai

My husband had meetings come up quick in Dubai and of course I tagged along!  We were going to be there a week and I wanted a lightweight kimono-type pullover for the pool and getting out of the shower.  I had snagged a gorgeous white linen/cotton (guessing on this) here in UB that was perfect.  My inspiration came from Lisa's over at  Lisa's Carolina | Handmade .  I'm not good at pattern drafting and this was a quick FREE measure and cut tutorial of Stitch Sisters--find their Patternless Pattern Link  here .   I'm so happy with this!  It basically took me an afternoon.  The directions are great--and they include 5/8" seam allowances--yay!--as I wanted to turn under and top stitch them since I don't have a serger here.  I left off the ties.  Shapeless worked for this.  I also raised the neckline by about 1.5" The neckline was a little trickier as I didn't have any bias on hand and there is no "running out" anywhe...