Skip to main content

Boppin' Around Beijing

What a time we had in this city!  Given that the 3 of us pretty much HAVE to eat roughly every 2 hours and the fact that I was operating off of a guidebook obviously written just after the Olympics in Beijing (meaning that the restaurants we tried to track down are now closed), Get Lost-Eat-Repeat was the order of the days we were left to ourselves.  

For two days we enjoyed tours of all the must-see sights.  The sights were stellar, the obligatory sales stops at a pearl market, tea shop, jade shop, etc. wore a little thin by the end of the 2nd day.  But we tried to be a gracious captive audience.  OK, the grace factor wore a bit thin at the end--who knew my girls could say "no.  thank you.  no." with such steely-eyed determination.  By the time we got to the silk store, they simply glided right past the sales staff and made for the exit.

On our last day there, we were relieved to get back to our Get Lost-Eat-Repeat routine.  Who knew that  our hutong exploration plans would go amok because Tianamen Square was closed due to a China/Africa conference?  Certainly not the hotel staff who helped us with directions.  Alas, this is China.

I suspect that one more day there and the taxi companies were going to put an alert out to avoid the 3 of us.  We seemed to constantly make them upset.  ??

Here's some of my favorite pics:


Our 1st attempt to locate a great restaurant 


The hour + Mr. Toad's Wild Ride was worth the disappointment of finding out the restaurant is closed. We had Hagan Daas instead.  And took a taxi back to the hotel




Happy Horse!  found him in the Temple of the Horse tucked away by the Great Wall.  I was wandering while the girls climbed.  :)  Did that twice in my late 40's.  Check.



Note the glazed looks as well as the body posture.  And the sweat.  It was hot and humid.  
 Sales Resistance Personified.  




Our tour guides with whom we spent 2 10-hour days.  


Our Best Buddies in the Lounge Restaurant.  Despite many valiant efforts, we ended up here pretty much every night for dinner.  Hot, tired and waving a white flag.  The last night, the cutie with the glasses told the girls "we were waiting for you!"   They even started replacing Michael Bolton with Jack Johnson.  I think they liked us.









Happy Trails!


Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Made in Mongolia--Simplicity 6726

Follow my blog with Bloglovin Follow my blog with Bloglovin Let's give this blogging thing another go, shall we?   I recently listened to podcast #18 at   Clothes Making Mavens  featuring Barbara Imodi of Sewing on the Edge  that was SO encouraging.  So on we go with my pretty bad photos featuring real me and my real life. We're back in Mongolia for 90 days with Randy's work.  I've been tracking that over on  Instagram  and  Facebook .  Anyway, my official sewing enabler, husband Randy, made sure that I immediately acquired a second-hand machine and set up my Happy Place.  Our furnished apartment has one picture on the wall and dinnerware for 6, but I have a sewing machine!  I do have my priorities right. I have to say I've never been a Singer fan.  That said, this little guy has really, really surprised me.  There is a Singer store here in UB that is the only game in town.  I got this Singer 323...

A Stitch Sisters Kimono for Dubai

My husband had meetings come up quick in Dubai and of course I tagged along!  We were going to be there a week and I wanted a lightweight kimono-type pullover for the pool and getting out of the shower.  I had snagged a gorgeous white linen/cotton (guessing on this) here in UB that was perfect.  My inspiration came from Lisa's over at  Lisa's Carolina | Handmade .  I'm not good at pattern drafting and this was a quick FREE measure and cut tutorial of Stitch Sisters--find their Patternless Pattern Link  here .   I'm so happy with this!  It basically took me an afternoon.  The directions are great--and they include 5/8" seam allowances--yay!--as I wanted to turn under and top stitch them since I don't have a serger here.  I left off the ties.  Shapeless worked for this.  I also raised the neckline by about 1.5" The neckline was a little trickier as I didn't have any bias on hand and there is no "running out" anywhe...

Mental Rioting

Mental Rioting.   Isn't that the coolest phrase?  I just heard it minutes ago on a Nat Geo bio on Darwin.  Thought it summed up a lot for me today.  All good.  Except for the head cold I'm getting over.  A glorious fall day is outside and I've been cooped up trying to mend.  Respiratory infections are not to be taken lightly here in UB. The good news is that I was able to snuffle about and cut out 4--count them: 4! sewing projects today.  Very excited about them.   Oh, and the really, really good news is that Mr. M indeed fixed my serger.  The same day.  He's a keeper. Before the cold hit, it hasn't all been sewing here. I started helping out with conversational English with bright young people working in Mongolian government who are trying to get to Australia to work on Master degrees.  Last Friday I was thrilled to be invited to tag along on a tour of the Parliament Building.  Quite a privilege for a local, nev...