Skip to main content

Asia Through New Eyes

I'm a wee bit after-the-fact with this post; but alas, a large deal of my life is taken up with trying to get enough sleep on either side of the 15-hour time difference I am constantly throwing at my body.  Sleep is essential to brain activity with me.

Anyway!  Our two beautiful daughters recently journeyed to Mongolia with me to see the world their Dad has worked in for the last 8 years.  Mind you, UB is more civilized now than it was not so long ago.  Still, it's waaaay different than the US, which is what 3 flights entailing almost 30 hours of travel deserves, right?  Right.

The week flew by and then just us girls flew to Beijing for almost a week.  China, too, is a bit more civilized, though still definitely China.  Nikki was frothing at the mouth by the 2nd day of internet connection sensor (FB is illegal, for starters).  I think it's been 6 or so years since I've even flown through China.  Just too much drama and too little English for a woman traveling alone.  Especially when Seoul is so much the opposite.  

Since Nikki already posted--check out her version at Fancy That, I'm going to try to just put up my favorite pics.  Hard for me as I'm wordy.  Let's see how this goes.  

Here's our time in Mongolia (next post, Beijing)

We all 3 connect in San Francisco :





Visit to Wagner Asia to play with the Big Stuff:



Who could not love that face???

Little Nadaam Warrior :)



Shaggai & Ulzimaa joined us for a bit.  The Girls are here, the party can start ;)



Meeting up with the Blue Guy.  Scary even when he's not dancing


Jana peeking in at a Buddhist uh, service (?)

Fabric Nirvana

Latte at a French bakery in Mongolia with a few Friends from all over

Off into the Steppe...

Comments

Laurie, how cool that you were able to show the girls around! I checked out Nikki's site and pics on Flikr and got a good idea how fun it all was. Great time of year for them to have visited you!

Popular posts from this blog

Made in Mongolia--Simplicity 6726

Follow my blog with Bloglovin Follow my blog with Bloglovin Let's give this blogging thing another go, shall we?   I recently listened to podcast #18 at   Clothes Making Mavens  featuring Barbara Imodi of Sewing on the Edge  that was SO encouraging.  So on we go with my pretty bad photos featuring real me and my real life. We're back in Mongolia for 90 days with Randy's work.  I've been tracking that over on  Instagram  and  Facebook .  Anyway, my official sewing enabler, husband Randy, made sure that I immediately acquired a second-hand machine and set up my Happy Place.  Our furnished apartment has one picture on the wall and dinnerware for 6, but I have a sewing machine!  I do have my priorities right. I have to say I've never been a Singer fan.  That said, this little guy has really, really surprised me.  There is a Singer store here in UB that is the only game in town.  I got this Singer 323...

Mental Rioting

Mental Rioting.   Isn't that the coolest phrase?  I just heard it minutes ago on a Nat Geo bio on Darwin.  Thought it summed up a lot for me today.  All good.  Except for the head cold I'm getting over.  A glorious fall day is outside and I've been cooped up trying to mend.  Respiratory infections are not to be taken lightly here in UB. The good news is that I was able to snuffle about and cut out 4--count them: 4! sewing projects today.  Very excited about them.   Oh, and the really, really good news is that Mr. M indeed fixed my serger.  The same day.  He's a keeper. Before the cold hit, it hasn't all been sewing here. I started helping out with conversational English with bright young people working in Mongolian government who are trying to get to Australia to work on Master degrees.  Last Friday I was thrilled to be invited to tag along on a tour of the Parliament Building.  Quite a privilege for a local, nev...

A Stitch Sisters Kimono for Dubai

My husband had meetings come up quick in Dubai and of course I tagged along!  We were going to be there a week and I wanted a lightweight kimono-type pullover for the pool and getting out of the shower.  I had snagged a gorgeous white linen/cotton (guessing on this) here in UB that was perfect.  My inspiration came from Lisa's over at  Lisa's Carolina | Handmade .  I'm not good at pattern drafting and this was a quick FREE measure and cut tutorial of Stitch Sisters--find their Patternless Pattern Link  here .   I'm so happy with this!  It basically took me an afternoon.  The directions are great--and they include 5/8" seam allowances--yay!--as I wanted to turn under and top stitch them since I don't have a serger here.  I left off the ties.  Shapeless worked for this.  I also raised the neckline by about 1.5" The neckline was a little trickier as I didn't have any bias on hand and there is no "running out" anywhe...