Skip to main content

Burda 5/2013 Pants

This summer has involved a lot more fitting and learning about fitting than actual sewing.  Well, I have cranked out some T-shirts and a few Magic Pencil Skirts that I didn't blog about.  

Anyway, before cutting into any of the gorgeous linen I brought back from Hong Kong, I want to give myself the best chance for a successful garment as possible.  Of course, the patterns that I was itching to use were all on the other side of the world.

So, I defaulted to my short stack of Burda Style magazines I have here in UB and downloaded a few patterns, too.  I have to say, the Burda Style pants I started with fit pretty darn good with the first muslin!  So, I made them up in the light gray bottom weight linen. Very soft.

And!  I learned how to make a flat seat adjustment!  About time.  This opens up a whole new world of pant options.  This in addition to my existing plan of simply covering my behind with longer shirts.  While on the subject of pants, I have decided that I am ready for more elastic.  And why not?  It's not like I would be caught dead tucking my shirt in anyway.  I'm finding that my lifelong love affair with jeans, is, well, fading.  Not the look I'm going for and not so comfortable.  Whew.  Feels good to get it out.

So, Burda Style 5/2013 117 A was a great place to start.  In linen.







I bound the hem & waist edges with the same lightweight cotton that I used for the pocket lining.
 
My best-ever pant behind.  Trust me.


 The pattern called for a drawstring, but I replaced it with soft elastic.  
Definite keeper pattern :)

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Made in Mongolia--Simplicity 6726

Follow my blog with Bloglovin Follow my blog with Bloglovin Let's give this blogging thing another go, shall we?   I recently listened to podcast #18 at   Clothes Making Mavens  featuring Barbara Imodi of Sewing on the Edge  that was SO encouraging.  So on we go with my pretty bad photos featuring real me and my real life. We're back in Mongolia for 90 days with Randy's work.  I've been tracking that over on  Instagram  and  Facebook .  Anyway, my official sewing enabler, husband Randy, made sure that I immediately acquired a second-hand machine and set up my Happy Place.  Our furnished apartment has one picture on the wall and dinnerware for 6, but I have a sewing machine!  I do have my priorities right. I have to say I've never been a Singer fan.  That said, this little guy has really, really surprised me.  There is a Singer store here in UB that is the only game in town.  I got this Singer 323...

Mental Rioting

Mental Rioting.   Isn't that the coolest phrase?  I just heard it minutes ago on a Nat Geo bio on Darwin.  Thought it summed up a lot for me today.  All good.  Except for the head cold I'm getting over.  A glorious fall day is outside and I've been cooped up trying to mend.  Respiratory infections are not to be taken lightly here in UB. The good news is that I was able to snuffle about and cut out 4--count them: 4! sewing projects today.  Very excited about them.   Oh, and the really, really good news is that Mr. M indeed fixed my serger.  The same day.  He's a keeper. Before the cold hit, it hasn't all been sewing here. I started helping out with conversational English with bright young people working in Mongolian government who are trying to get to Australia to work on Master degrees.  Last Friday I was thrilled to be invited to tag along on a tour of the Parliament Building.  Quite a privilege for a local, nev...

A Stitch Sisters Kimono for Dubai

My husband had meetings come up quick in Dubai and of course I tagged along!  We were going to be there a week and I wanted a lightweight kimono-type pullover for the pool and getting out of the shower.  I had snagged a gorgeous white linen/cotton (guessing on this) here in UB that was perfect.  My inspiration came from Lisa's over at  Lisa's Carolina | Handmade .  I'm not good at pattern drafting and this was a quick FREE measure and cut tutorial of Stitch Sisters--find their Patternless Pattern Link  here .   I'm so happy with this!  It basically took me an afternoon.  The directions are great--and they include 5/8" seam allowances--yay!--as I wanted to turn under and top stitch them since I don't have a serger here.  I left off the ties.  Shapeless worked for this.  I also raised the neckline by about 1.5" The neckline was a little trickier as I didn't have any bias on hand and there is no "running out" anywhe...