Skip to main content

Slovenia & Stallions

On Sunday we sailed away from Venice...
See the two vaporetti water buses I was talking about?  They have the orange stripes at the top.  
...and we awoke to these stunning views of Koper, Slovenia, from our stateroom balcony!



I had read that the city of Koper pretty much closes down on Sunday, the day we arrived; and Randy really wanted to see the stud farm of the famous Lippizan stallions.  So, we joined the tour group the ship was offering and off we went on a 45-minute bus ride into the fall scenery of the Slovenian countryside.  There was a guide on the bus who filled us in on tons of interesting Slovenian factoids.  I have to admit that this tour would not have been on my radar screen (even though my mom had taken me to a performance of the Dancing Lippizans for my 16th birthday)--I thoroughly enjoyed it!  Once again, hooray for the spice of spousal differences :D
This stable was built at the end of the 15th century!

This particular sight of Lipican had been breeding these special horses since around 1400.  The grounds were beautiful!  We enjoyed a tour of the stables, a museum tour and a special performance--they really do dance!


I did not know that these beautiful horses are all born dark and gradually turn white as they mature.  Amazing!




On the way back to Koper, we were treated to a tour of a great winery--and tasting ;).  Slovenia has an ancient wine industry.  Who knew?  Check out this realllly old olive tree outside--not quite as ancient as the ones we saw in Israel, but still impressive

When we got back on ship, we were greeted by this CUTE elephant created by Aldrin, our stateroom attendant!  Ciao for Now :D

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Made in Mongolia--Simplicity 6726

Follow my blog with Bloglovin Follow my blog with Bloglovin Let's give this blogging thing another go, shall we?   I recently listened to podcast #18 at   Clothes Making Mavens  featuring Barbara Imodi of Sewing on the Edge  that was SO encouraging.  So on we go with my pretty bad photos featuring real me and my real life. We're back in Mongolia for 90 days with Randy's work.  I've been tracking that over on  Instagram  and  Facebook .  Anyway, my official sewing enabler, husband Randy, made sure that I immediately acquired a second-hand machine and set up my Happy Place.  Our furnished apartment has one picture on the wall and dinnerware for 6, but I have a sewing machine!  I do have my priorities right. I have to say I've never been a Singer fan.  That said, this little guy has really, really surprised me.  There is a Singer store here in UB that is the only game in town.  I got this Singer 323...

Mental Rioting

Mental Rioting.   Isn't that the coolest phrase?  I just heard it minutes ago on a Nat Geo bio on Darwin.  Thought it summed up a lot for me today.  All good.  Except for the head cold I'm getting over.  A glorious fall day is outside and I've been cooped up trying to mend.  Respiratory infections are not to be taken lightly here in UB. The good news is that I was able to snuffle about and cut out 4--count them: 4! sewing projects today.  Very excited about them.   Oh, and the really, really good news is that Mr. M indeed fixed my serger.  The same day.  He's a keeper. Before the cold hit, it hasn't all been sewing here. I started helping out with conversational English with bright young people working in Mongolian government who are trying to get to Australia to work on Master degrees.  Last Friday I was thrilled to be invited to tag along on a tour of the Parliament Building.  Quite a privilege for a local, nev...

A Stitch Sisters Kimono for Dubai

My husband had meetings come up quick in Dubai and of course I tagged along!  We were going to be there a week and I wanted a lightweight kimono-type pullover for the pool and getting out of the shower.  I had snagged a gorgeous white linen/cotton (guessing on this) here in UB that was perfect.  My inspiration came from Lisa's over at  Lisa's Carolina | Handmade .  I'm not good at pattern drafting and this was a quick FREE measure and cut tutorial of Stitch Sisters--find their Patternless Pattern Link  here .   I'm so happy with this!  It basically took me an afternoon.  The directions are great--and they include 5/8" seam allowances--yay!--as I wanted to turn under and top stitch them since I don't have a serger here.  I left off the ties.  Shapeless worked for this.  I also raised the neckline by about 1.5" The neckline was a little trickier as I didn't have any bias on hand and there is no "running out" anywhe...