Skip to main content

Plan B Trip



Last weekend Randy & I were planning to hike up a local mountain on Sunday afternoon. However, the previous evening a huge dry lightening/wind storm had swept down on UB causing several big grass fires. So, hiking didn't seem the thing to do 1) because heavy breathing in all that smoke was not a good idea and 2) why go to all that effort if we couldn't enjoy a view? So...Plan B was to visit one of the few museums we've yet to visit after 4 years in Ulaanbaatar. What you see here is from our visit to the Bogd Khan's Winter Palace. This was the last residing Khan of Mongolia who was deposed in 1921 when the Manchurian Chinese invaded. The compound obviously resembles the Forbidden City in Beijing (shhh...); however, the residence was built in the 1880's and is decidedly European. You can get a sense of the dense smoke that was present that day (and the Mongolian attention to landscaping which is basically nonexistent) as well as the contrast between past and present with just a glimpse of the myriad of construction cranes present in UB right now. End note: the last Khan had only one adopted daughter who died during the "Cultural Revolution" (not what the common Chinese call it). We left wondering if anyone could lay claim as a descendant through DNA, etc. Hmm...







Posted by Picasa

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Made in Mongolia--Simplicity 6726

Follow my blog with Bloglovin Follow my blog with Bloglovin Let's give this blogging thing another go, shall we?   I recently listened to podcast #18 at   Clothes Making Mavens  featuring Barbara Imodi of Sewing on the Edge  that was SO encouraging.  So on we go with my pretty bad photos featuring real me and my real life. We're back in Mongolia for 90 days with Randy's work.  I've been tracking that over on  Instagram  and  Facebook .  Anyway, my official sewing enabler, husband Randy, made sure that I immediately acquired a second-hand machine and set up my Happy Place.  Our furnished apartment has one picture on the wall and dinnerware for 6, but I have a sewing machine!  I do have my priorities right. I have to say I've never been a Singer fan.  That said, this little guy has really, really surprised me.  There is a Singer store here in UB that is the only game in town.  I got this Singer 323...

Mental Rioting

Mental Rioting.   Isn't that the coolest phrase?  I just heard it minutes ago on a Nat Geo bio on Darwin.  Thought it summed up a lot for me today.  All good.  Except for the head cold I'm getting over.  A glorious fall day is outside and I've been cooped up trying to mend.  Respiratory infections are not to be taken lightly here in UB. The good news is that I was able to snuffle about and cut out 4--count them: 4! sewing projects today.  Very excited about them.   Oh, and the really, really good news is that Mr. M indeed fixed my serger.  The same day.  He's a keeper. Before the cold hit, it hasn't all been sewing here. I started helping out with conversational English with bright young people working in Mongolian government who are trying to get to Australia to work on Master degrees.  Last Friday I was thrilled to be invited to tag along on a tour of the Parliament Building.  Quite a privilege for a local, nev...

A Stitch Sisters Kimono for Dubai

My husband had meetings come up quick in Dubai and of course I tagged along!  We were going to be there a week and I wanted a lightweight kimono-type pullover for the pool and getting out of the shower.  I had snagged a gorgeous white linen/cotton (guessing on this) here in UB that was perfect.  My inspiration came from Lisa's over at  Lisa's Carolina | Handmade .  I'm not good at pattern drafting and this was a quick FREE measure and cut tutorial of Stitch Sisters--find their Patternless Pattern Link  here .   I'm so happy with this!  It basically took me an afternoon.  The directions are great--and they include 5/8" seam allowances--yay!--as I wanted to turn under and top stitch them since I don't have a serger here.  I left off the ties.  Shapeless worked for this.  I also raised the neckline by about 1.5" The neckline was a little trickier as I didn't have any bias on hand and there is no "running out" anywhe...