Skip to main content

I Travel AND I Sew!


I've decided not to wait any longer to share what I've been doing in the sewing room (I actually have 2: one an actual sewing room in UB and another set up in a corner of my loft here in Denver). So, even though life was pretty hectic back in UB getting ready for an annual fundraising event, etc. (oh and that little power outage thing--60 hours without in one week!), I still managed at least 15 minutes of sewing pretty much every day--a personal goal I've kept for years. Cheaper than therapy, eh?

Stay tuned for all the grandkid projects I'm feverishly trying to finish :)

Let's see...one project from a while back involved making my too-high-waisted (and OK, too tight) jeans into lower waists by removing the waist bands and using bias tape with the original closures. This helped me get another winter out of them. Next, I made some appliance covers from scraps to help ward off those wicked spring time dirt storms from the Gobi Desert. Those who know me best will be amazed that I have finally branched out from blue & white in the kitchen. Plus, I finally found a use for the lime green piping from my mother's sewing room.

Then, there are some jacket/tops that I had to modify from a Vogue pattern. Then a gold jacket for opera season in UB--yup, it's true: real Italian opera sung by real Mongolians in fancy Russian-style theatres--for about $5 an evening!

Last is a skirt I made that has a tulip hem. I stumbled upon an Indian shop in UB (!) that had a few dozen bolts of rayons in stock. The one I picked sewed this skirt of beautifully.


The sheer top was a re-do. I made this from one of those artsy-fartsy patterns about 5 years ago and the long sleeves always bugged me. So, I cut them off :) I've worn it on several beach trips and it's great as it's light, cool and wrinkle-free.




Posted by Picasa

Comments

Anonymous said…
Your sewing abilities have always amazed me. How wonderful that even through your Asian adventures you can still make time to sew! I was thinking about you yesterday when shopping because I saw a pig-shaped trivet at a store in the mall. :) Hope you are well (seems like you are!). ~Tara

Popular posts from this blog

Made in Mongolia--Simplicity 6726

Follow my blog with Bloglovin Follow my blog with Bloglovin Let's give this blogging thing another go, shall we?   I recently listened to podcast #18 at   Clothes Making Mavens  featuring Barbara Imodi of Sewing on the Edge  that was SO encouraging.  So on we go with my pretty bad photos featuring real me and my real life. We're back in Mongolia for 90 days with Randy's work.  I've been tracking that over on  Instagram  and  Facebook .  Anyway, my official sewing enabler, husband Randy, made sure that I immediately acquired a second-hand machine and set up my Happy Place.  Our furnished apartment has one picture on the wall and dinnerware for 6, but I have a sewing machine!  I do have my priorities right. I have to say I've never been a Singer fan.  That said, this little guy has really, really surprised me.  There is a Singer store here in UB that is the only game in town.  I got this Singer 323...

Mental Rioting

Mental Rioting.   Isn't that the coolest phrase?  I just heard it minutes ago on a Nat Geo bio on Darwin.  Thought it summed up a lot for me today.  All good.  Except for the head cold I'm getting over.  A glorious fall day is outside and I've been cooped up trying to mend.  Respiratory infections are not to be taken lightly here in UB. The good news is that I was able to snuffle about and cut out 4--count them: 4! sewing projects today.  Very excited about them.   Oh, and the really, really good news is that Mr. M indeed fixed my serger.  The same day.  He's a keeper. Before the cold hit, it hasn't all been sewing here. I started helping out with conversational English with bright young people working in Mongolian government who are trying to get to Australia to work on Master degrees.  Last Friday I was thrilled to be invited to tag along on a tour of the Parliament Building.  Quite a privilege for a local, nev...

A Stitch Sisters Kimono for Dubai

My husband had meetings come up quick in Dubai and of course I tagged along!  We were going to be there a week and I wanted a lightweight kimono-type pullover for the pool and getting out of the shower.  I had snagged a gorgeous white linen/cotton (guessing on this) here in UB that was perfect.  My inspiration came from Lisa's over at  Lisa's Carolina | Handmade .  I'm not good at pattern drafting and this was a quick FREE measure and cut tutorial of Stitch Sisters--find their Patternless Pattern Link  here .   I'm so happy with this!  It basically took me an afternoon.  The directions are great--and they include 5/8" seam allowances--yay!--as I wanted to turn under and top stitch them since I don't have a serger here.  I left off the ties.  Shapeless worked for this.  I also raised the neckline by about 1.5" The neckline was a little trickier as I didn't have any bias on hand and there is no "running out" anywhe...